Friday 31 October 2014

My First Trail Ultra (Yurrebilla 56K, 2013)


Thanks to Steve from SRG (Southern runners group) who planted the seed about this trail running event during the Marathon Training. 

It is very strange how the mind quickly forgets about pain experienced during the previous race.  I think it is similar to when my wife Sophia went through pain during her pregnancy and delivery. She said never again that’s it… But few years later went through it all over again and then again….!!! (We have three beautiful boys)

When my runner friends started talking about elevation gain and descents, I decided it is time to upgrade to GPS based Garmin. So I invested in my second watch Garmin 610. Sadly didn't realise the battery life is only 7 to 8 hours.

I was back in to training with my SRG friends after some well-deserved few weeks rest.  Thanks to Mark from SRG who was happy to drive me to the first official Yum training. I decided to go slow and not repeat the past mistake on this training (especially coming back from injury). 

After 30 mins running by myself on the trail I realised I am going around in circle and seem to have gone lost!!! (Apparently this is normal). I realised it is sensible to come back to main road and go to finish line. Stopping bikers and asking them directions to reach the agreed finish location, I chugged along the road slowly.

What a relief when I saw Mark and his daughter driving on the same road and trying to find me.  Few phone calls around to the important people to let everyone know I am safe.  Mark asked me; how come you didn't answer your mobile, my response mobile is safely packed in the car at starting location. Then got a stern advice from our SRG leader to carry mobile and map on trial runs and follow signs marked for Yurrebilla. (Ohh dear I thought read maps this is going to be fun alright, what I have got myself in to….)

I was being cautious after my first failed training run. Glad the rest of the training went smoothly, thanks to SRG members. (SRG mates always made sure I was never out of their sight during all training runs from then on-wards). And it is not called getting lost as per SRG dictionary apparently it is called taking detours.

On race day I followed the advice given by experienced David and SRG friends.  Luckily course was very well marked and lot of runners on the course so chances of getting lost or taking detours was minimal. Was very happy I may not have to refer to my map or ring anyone if I detour. 

Adelaide runners are very lucky to have great support from volunteers. All the checkpoints had plenty of food and drinks.  Also the Yurrebilla trail run is where you can actually gain few kilos by the time you reach the finish line. So yes there is plenty of good food available at all the check points.

It was another hot day in Adelaide; I stuck to my plan and started slowly. Since my new Garmin watch battery does not last more than 7 hours I had another problem. (All runs has to be religiously recorded in Garmin!!!). One of the volunteer helped me with strapping the charger to my Garmin watch at one of the checkpoint.  All was going well, and I was looking forward to meet my wife and kids at the 50k checkpoint.

But at the 42K mark mind and body were not very happy. It was rather hot out there. I slowed down and was crawling at this point. My wife rings on the phone, to check if I am OK, few questions came firing at me; where are you? Why are you so slow? We are waiting for you. We can see all runners passing except you. Hope you are feeling OK, can you make it. I have powerade and banana for you; hurry up, and with that we ended the phone conversation.

Felt better or maybe guilty for keeping my wife and kids waiting. Relentless forward motion and off I continued towards the next checkpoint to my waiting family. Now more than eager to meet them and show OFF I suppose, I am strong and I can do it. Finally made it to the checkpoint and saw my wife and kids. Hugs, kisses, drinks, photo, Facebook update and then continued up the beautiful hill called Black hill which I think was mocking at all the runners.  

David our SRG leader briefly passed me and checked if I am OK. I assured him I am fine and he continued.  Next another SRG checked on me while passing by. It was one long descent down the black hill. Cannot say I enjoy running downhill after running for more than 8 hours by now.

As soon as I heard Cow bells, whistles announcers voice and a big cheering crowd  I sprinted now the last 100 meter with a big smile (showing off I am strong runner) to cross the finish line and collect my first Ultra Medal!!!


It was a great feeling to see my SRG friends and other runners, volunteers, cheering and calling out my name as I crossed the finish line.  

I am an Ultra Marathon Man!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment