Thursday 30 October 2014

My First Marathon (Barossa)


Beginning of 2013, I decided to join the Marathon Mentor (MM) program through SAARC managed by Chris.  Chris is an amazing coach and has been helping the Adelaide running community. Adelaide is very lucky to have people like Chris who spends his personal time to mentor starters like me.

During one of the presentation session organised by MM group, I met Terry and Don who suggested me to come along for run with SRG (Southern Running Group). I was very happy and eager to run with a group on weekend which is closer to the place I live down south of Adelaide.  Same weekend met SRG leader David and the rest of the club members, and went for my first group run. After the run a traditional coffee catch-up with SRG group.

It was time to get serious and invest in one of those super-duper watches. I spoiled myself and bought Garmin Fore60. This was fun to run with a pod stuck to my shoe lace and heart rate monitor strapped to my chest. Come home after every run and upload data and check stats. Pretty cool stuff!!! 

In March 2013 I officially became part of the SRG group. David and his SRG members were very friendly and provided support and tips. Few members of the club were also training for the Barossa Marathon same as me.

During one of the long training runs, Steve from SRG suggested something about long trail run up in the hills called Yurrebilla 56K Ultra. I thought to myself I will be just lucky to do 42K Barossa Marathon, not sure what is Steve going on about...

I continued my training with SRG and during this training also completed my first 10K trail run. Gosh that was the Best!!! Running in the hills up and down and slippery (I did not have any tumble).

Race day, goal was to complete my first Marathon in less than 4.5 hours. It was early start for the slow runners (this time I had Garmin watch and Gels, things were getting serious). Tim from SRG was the pacer for 4.5 hour Marathon. Few of the SRG members were following him religiously. I thought to myself this is too slow nah I am not staying with you and off I went feeling great.

During the course I came across other SRG who all encouraged each other and kept moving along. At the 34k, things were getting tough and my knee started to pain real bad. That’s when I realized this is the so called “Hitting the Wall” which I have been hearing from experienced runners. 

People standing alongside the course cheering and telling not long to go; You look great (ohh yea wish they were right I am thinking!!!); You can do it and all very motivating comments came flying at me. But it was me on this side thinking, where the heck, the turnaround point is. My knee was getting worse and I had to walk some part of the course.

Most important I had to remind myself to show a big smile not the painful look when I see a photographer...OK. 

Tim and his religious followers overtook me effortless and smiling at the 35k mark.  I felt like an idiot!!!  Lesson learnt here hard way. So mental note made go slow and steady next time.

Slowly ran, walked, crawled and finally a sprint to the finish line in 4 hours and 33 mins and got my first Marathon medal. 

I am a Marathon man!!!

2 comments:

  1. I remember that day! I don't think I was much better off (I did beat the 4:30 pacer!) and it was a challenge to do it, but we did.....Look how far you've come in 18 months since then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vijay , I have the highest of admiration for your achievement -- all congratulations to you mate :)

    ReplyDelete